the Nmap Project's packet sniffing (and
sending) library for Windows. While Npcap has many end users who
simply use the free/demo version, we fund the Npcap
project by selling the enhanced Npcap OEM Edition. This
special version includes enterprise features such as the silent
installer and commercial support as well as special license rights
allowing customers to redistribute Npcap with their products. The
primary differences between OEM Npcap and the free/demo Npcap releases
- Silent installer—Npcap OEM includes a silent installation option (/S), including customization using command-line arguments. Redistribution customers use this to silently install Npcap along with their own software on customer machines. The free/demo Npcap does not include a silent installer.
- Redistribution rights—Companies purchase the Npcap OEM Redistribution License so they can include it within their products that they distribute outside their own organization. The free/demo Npcap does not normally allow redistribution.
- Commercial support—Npcap OEM maintenance plans include commercial support to ensure any bugs you find are fixed promptly and all your technical questions answered. The free/demo Npcap only has free community support available.
- Regular updates—Npcap OEM maintenance plans also include update rights so you always have access to the latest releases. We are constantly releasing updates with performance enhancements, bug fixes, and new features you can learn about on our changelog.
- Continuity—Npcap OEM licensees have a contract or license certificate guaranteeing the availability and terms for their Npcap OEM usage, while the terms and restrictions for the Npcap free license change from time to time. Licensing revenue also funds continued Npcap development and improvements to prevent the product from being abandoned like WinPcap was.
- OEM branding—Npcap OEM reports itself as such (if users happen to see it on the add/remove Software screen or similar), so users know they have an officially licensed version of Npcap.
This page describes the Npcap OEM redistribition license for companies that wish to redistribute Npcap OEM outside of their organization (e.g. within their products). Organizations that only want to use Npcap OEM internally (within your organization, including your employees, contractors, etc.) without any redistribution outside the org qualify for the Npcap OEM internal-use license instead. The redistribution license already allows unlimited internal use for development and testing and usage of your product. So you only need to buy both licenses if you wanted to redistribute Npcap in your product(s) and also use Npcap internally in a manner unrelated to those products.
Npcap OEM releases are always made in conjunction with Npcap free/demo releases and the version numbers are the same. Since Npcap OEM is almost identical to the free/demo Npcap, more product details are available from the Npcap public pages and we won't try to reproduce all of that here.
To keep things simple our standard Npcap license involves no per-seat royalties--just a reasonable one-time license buy-out fee and an optional annual maintenance fee which includes all new Npcap releases as well as commercial support. That maintenance fee never increases as long as you renew it every year. We also offer a term license which includes redistribution rights and maintenance for an annual fee which must be renewed for as long as you are selling new products containing Npcap OEM. The annual term license fee never increases.
Prices are in U.S. Dollars (USD) based on the size of company buying the license, broken into four tiers. This is because larger companies are usually able to derive more value from Npcap OEM by leveraging it at a greater scale. Larger companies generally cost us more to support as well. Prices are based on the company size at the time they purchase a license, so they don't increase as companies grow.
Our Npcap OEM Enterprise Redistribution License is for our largest customers. The perpetual license to use Npcap OEM in a product line or category (which can be fairly broad) costs $39,800, plus an optional annual maintenance fee of $9,500. Or you can prepay 5 years of maintenance for $38,000 (a 20% discount) so you're covered until 2026! The annual term license option (which includes maintenance) costs $19,950/year.
Our Npcap OEM Mid-Sized Company Redistribution License provides a discount for mid-sized customers. The perpetual license to use Npcap OEM in all company products costs $27,900, plus an optional annual maintenance fee of $6,700. Or you can prepay 5 years of maintenance for $26,800 (a 20% discount) so you're covered until 2026. The annual term license option (which includes maintenance) costs $13,950/year. To qualify for this license, a company must meet all of these criteria:
- 500 or fewer employees
- Revenue (not profit) less than US$200 million in most recent fiscal year
- If publicly traded, market capitalization must be less than $1 billion
Our Npcap OEM Small/Startup Company Redistribution License provides a big discount for small companies. The perpetual license to use Npcap OEM in all company products costs US$18,600, plus an optional annual maintenance fee of $5,700. Or you can prepay 5 years of maintenance for $22,800 (a 20% discount) so you're covered until 2026! The annual term license option (which includes maintenance) costs $9,950/year. To qualify for this license, a company must have 50 or fewer employees and no more than US$15 million revenue in the most recent fiscal year. Subsidiaries of larger companies only qualify for the small/startup license if the parent company also qualifies as such.
Finally our Npcap OEM Micro-Corp Redistribution License is for fledgling companies which may still be a sole proprietorship or even just an idea in someone's head. The perpetual license to use Npcap OEM in all company products costs US$12,800, plus an optional annual maintenance fee of $4,900. Or you can prepay 5 years of maintenance for $19,600 (a 20% discount). The annual term license option (which includes maintenance) costs $7,950/year. To qualify for this license, a company must have 5 or fewer employees and no more than US$1 million revenue in the most recent fiscal year. Subsidiaries of larger companies only qualify for the micro-corp license if the parent company also qualifies as such.
All contracts include a six month trial period during which you can cancel for any reason and receive a full refund of all money paid. We also provide a free/demo version of Npcap that you can fully test internally before purchase.
The rights Npcap OEM redistribution license customers enjoy are spelled out in the sample license certificate. This includes support, indemnification, warranty, updates, etc. A filled out version containing software download credentials is provided for each purchase.
Current licensees can find the Npcap OEM installer itself in this distribution directory. If you don't remember your company's username and password, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to download the latest version unless you specifically require an older one. Note that updating Npcap to later versions requires a maintenance (support and upgrades) subscription. If you aren't sure whether you have an active mainteance subscription, email email@example.com and we will check for you.
Npcap OEM utilizes the same SDK as normal Npcap, and that is available from the Npcap public pages.
Current Nmap Security Scanner licensees who want access to Npcap for use with Nmap should see this FAQ question.
Npcap OEM shares its documentation with the public/demo version of Npcap. All of the documentation (and even the source code) is available by hyperlink from the Npcap public pages.
Licensees with an active maintenance (support and updates) subscription have special access to report bugs or ask Npcap technical support questions. If you are a licensee and don't have the support contact information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will send it to you.
While we hope to set up an online order form for immediate purchase and also establish relationships with major software resellers, we currently have a more manual purchase process for this new product. To buy an Nmap OEM Internal-use license, you or your preferred reseller should send a message to email@example.com with the following information:
- Your company name, if it isn't obvious from your email address or email signature. We would need the end user company name if you are a reseller.
- Which license you want. This depends on your current company size as described here and would be either the Npcap OEM Enterprise Redistribution License, Npcap OEM Mid-Sized Company Redistribution License, Npcap OEM Small/Startup Company Redistribution License, or the Npcap OEM Micro-Corp Redistribution License.
- If this is the Enterprise Redistribution License , the license covers a named product line or category (which can be fairly broad). Please include the product line name or category that you are interested in shipping with Npcap OEM. This is not needed for the smaller company licenses since those companies usually have fewer products.
- Do you want the perpetual license or the annual term license? Annual renewal of the term license is required every year until you cease redistributing Npcap OEM and notify us of license termination.
- If it's a perpetual license, do you want 5 years of updates and support (with the 20% prepayment discount), 1 year of maintenance (with possible renewals later), or no maintenance at all? The annual term license always includes maintenance as part of the annual fee.
Once we receive your request, we will send a formal quote with instructions for payment by wire transfer, ACH direct deposit, or check. You can pay that directly or begin your company's procurement process for vendor onboarding, purchase order request, etc.
As soon as payment or a purchase order is received, we will activate your license and send you the following:
- Account credentials for you and your team to download current and (if you purchased updates) future Npcap OEM releases.
- Contacts for submitting support requests (assuming you purchased support). Support includes bug reports as well as any technical questions you might have about Npcap.
- End user license agreement (EULA) noting your Npcap OEM usage rights. It is this form (filled out, of course).
Is maintenance (support and updates) optional?
For our normal (perpetual) license, maintenance is optional but highly recommended because it extends the perpetual license to include all new versions released during the maintenance period. And Npcap is under very active development. We made 13 releases in 2020, with dozens of feature enhancements, bug fixes, and performance improvements. Maintenance also includes commercial support whenever you need it. And the price never increases as long as you don't let it lapse for more than 120 days.
For our annual term license, maintenance (including all updates and commercial support) is included along with redistribution rights in the single annual fee (which never increases).
Is the first year of maintenance included in the perpetual license fee?
No. While we strongly recommend maintenance for the reasons given in the last question, some of our customs choose to decline even the first year of maintenance. Others choose the 5-year prepaid options for a 20% discount. Quoting the license and maintenance costs separately allows customers to make their own selections.
Do you sell through resellers?
Yes, we are happy to make the sale through your preferred reseller. We regularly work with SoftwareONE, SHI, and dozens of other resellers. Just ask your reseller to contact firstname.lastname@example.org on your behalf with the information requested in Purchase Process.
If we already have (or plan to buy) a commercial Nmap Security Scanner OEM redistribution license, do we also need to buy an Npcap license for use with Nmap?
No. Our Nmap OEM product includes custom Windows builds (both an installer and a zip file of binaries) which already include Npcpa OEM. This license includes full rights to redistribute Npcap OEM or use it for testing/development as long as Npcap is only being used with Nmap. Your Nmap OEM credentials can also be used to download the latest version of Npcap OEM in case you want to use (or test) a newer version than ships with Nmap. Links and details are available from the Nmap OEM page.
Please note that an Nmap OEM commercial license does not confer distribution rights to use Npcap OEM with non-Nmap software. For that you would need the Npcap OEM redistribution license described by this page, but at least you would receive an existing-customer discount. Please email email@example.com for details.
What if the standard license terms don't work for us?
For most of our customers, the licence certificate we send detailing their license rights is sufficient. It is this form (filled out, of course) and includes electronic software delivery credentials as well as support, indemnification, warranty, and redistribution rights. This can make the whole process faster because your company does not have to review and sign a contract filled with obligations on your side.
That being said, some companies want or need a contract signed by both parties. If that is the case, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org letting us know that you would like the contract version and we will write one up for you. Be sure to include all of the information requested in the Purchase Process section above.
If you only need a very small change, we may be able to modify the license certificate version for you. If your legal department wants to make many changes, the contract version is probably better. Please note that extensively marking up the contract will require significant legal review time on our side, and changes which substantially increase our obligations (especially surrounding support and indemnification rights) will increase the license fee too. Major markups are only allowed for the Mid-Sized or Enterprice license sizes. Customers interested in the Small/Startup or Micro-Corp license will have to limit themselves to a very small number of very minor changes (if any), or upgrade to the more expensive license.
Are there any limits or extra fees based on how many copies of Npcap OEM we redistribute or install?
No. You can distribute and install as many copies of Npcap OEM as you wish as part of products covered by your license for no additional fees.
If our company size increases to a higher tier, or if Npcap prices go up in general, will we have to pay more?
No. The optional annual maintenance fee for perpetual licenses and the annual license fee for term licenses are set based on your company size and the current prices at the time you buy the license. They don't increase for as long as you choose to renew.